- As we work more and more using agile techniques, teams tend to optimize their areas of responsibility.
- IT will still release lower-quality applications when there is a lack of clarity around the core SDLC processes.
- Software development teams continue to struggle with budget and time constraints within their releases.
- Typically each group claims to be optimized, yet the final deliverable falls short of the expected quality.
- Database administrators know this all too well: Optimizing can you perform worse. The software development lifecycle (SDLC) must be optimized holistically, not per area or team.
- Separate how you work from your framework. You do not need "agile" or "extreme" or "agifall" or "safe" to optimize your SDLC.
- SDLC optimization is a continuous effort. Start from your team's current capabilities and improve over time.
Impact and results
- You can assume proper accountability for the implementation and avoid over-reliance on the systems integrator.
- Leverage the collective knowledge and advice of additional IT professionals
- Review the pitfalls and lessons learned from failed integrations.
- Manage risk at every stage.
- Perform a self-assessment at various stages of the integration path.
Besides the small introduction, subscribers and consulting clients within this management domain have access to:
Read our executive brief to understand our approach to SDLC optimization and why we advocate a holistic approach for your company.
Document your current state
This phase helps you understand your business goals and priorities. You will document your current SDLC process and find where the challenges are.
- Create a Horizontally Optimized SDLC to Better Meet Business Demands – Phase 1: Document the Current State of the SDLC (ppt)
- SDLC Optimization Playbook (xls)
Find out the root causes, define how to move forward, and set your target state
- Create a Horizontally Optimized SDLC to Better Meet Business Demands – Phase 2: Define Root Causes, Determine Optimization Initiatives, and Define Target State (ppt)
Develop the roll-out strategy for SDLC optimization
Prioritize your initiatives and formalize them in a roll-out strategy and roadmap. Communicate your plan to all your stakeholders.
- Create a Horizontally Optimized SDLC to Better Meet Business Demands – Phase 3: Develop a Rollout Strategy for SDLC Optimization (ppt)
- SDLC Communication Template (ppt)