- Design your IT metrics from a business outcome perspective and not from a service perspective.
- Most companies fail to measure outcomes and value creation over the lifetime of service, thus never ensuring that the return on investment remains as expected.
- Align Service metrics with the expected business outcome.
- Service metrics that align with business value creation reinforce positive business and end-user relationships. They provide user-centric performance information. Based on that info, you can improve precisely where users and clients want you to.
- Be careful what you measure. It may drive unintended behavior with negative impacts on both IT and service outcomes.
Impact and results
Useful service metrics allow you to:
- Confirm the service performance and identify gaps to close.
- Drive service improvements to maximize the business outcome.
- Validate that the improvements indeed increase business value.
- Ensure that service reporting aligns with the user experience.
- Better monitor process and regulatory compliance.
Which translates back to:
- Your ability to embed IT in business value achievement.
- Better IT and business relationships.
Better customer satisfaction because you measure what matters for customers and the business show accesslevels="guest"}
Besides the small introduction, subscribers and consulting clients within this management domain have access to:
Design the metrics
Identify the appropriate metrics based on desired service outcome and stakeholder needs
- Develop Meaningful Service Metrics to Ensure Business and User (ppt)
- Satisfaction – Phase 1: Design the Metrics (doc)
Design reports and dashboards
Present the right metrics in a way your stakeholders find the most exciting and engaging.
- Develop Meaningful Service Metrics to Ensure Business and User Satisfaction – Phase 2: Design Reports and Dashboards
- Metrics Presentation Format Selection Guide
Implement, track, and continuously improve
Start with a small subset of defined service metrics and validate that they trigger the desired behavior. Refine as needed.
- Develop Meaningful Service Metrics to Ensure Business and User Satisfaction – Phase 3: Implement, Track, and Maintain
- Metrics Tracking Tool